Book of Romans Study Questions
1. List the advantage of the Jew over the Gentile, since both were sinners. (vs. 1-8)
2. What is the main point in the flow of thought in vss. 1-8?
3. What is the point of the quotations found in vss. 10-18?
4. List three objections that Paul anticipates some might raise to his line of argument?
5. The Jews had the oracle of God. What does the word “oracle” mean? How did such oracles relate to Christ?
6. What is the meaning of the words “faithfulness of God” as in vs. 3?
7. In what sense could God come into judgment? V. 4
8. Who are the “we” and the “they” of vs. 9?
9. Where in the Roman epistle had Paul proven both Jews and Greeks guilty of sin?
10. In what sense is “there none righteous,” v. 10? Page 5 of 20
11. The lack of understanding as in vs. 11a was limited to understanding on what subject?
12. There have been “seekers after God” in all ages and places. In what sense is vs. 11b true?
13. Give the full significance of “apart from the law” (v. 21).
14. Define “righteousness” as used in v. 21. How and when was it manifested? What was its status before the manifesting?
15. What previous passage in Romans does v. 22 have a close resemblance to?
16. Show the two ways in which there “is no distinction.” v. 22.
17. Is there any distinction in v. 22 between the noun “faith” and the verb “believe”? What attitude and response is involved in “faith in Jesus Christ”?
18. What is the “glory” of God, v. 23?
19. What is the meaning of “freely” in v. 24?
20. We are justified “by” and “through” something. Explain.
21. How does v. 24 fit in with the ideas of Eph. 2:8? Discuss the parallel points and any points not in both verses.
22. What does “redemption” mean? v. 24.
23. Define “propitiation.” Are the words “remedy” and “expiation” synonymous, or do these words omit some idea that is connoted by “propitiation”? The word has an Old Testament background. What is it?
24. How does the death of Christ show the righteousness of God?
25. God’s righteousness was shown on the cross concerning “sins done aforetime.” How?
26. Define the word “law” as it is used in v. 27. Why do not its more ordinary meanings fit here?
27. Is there any difference in “by faith” and “through faith” of v. 30?
28. In what sense is the law established through faith?
29. Show how the following qualities of God were manifested on Calvary –a. Mercy, b. Justice, c. Love, d. Wisdom.
Book of Romans
1. What does the Bible have to say about “passing judgment” on others? Is there some judging that is commanded? Is there some judging that is prohibited? What is the point of this passage, 2:1ff?
2. In 2:1-11, there are three principles or standards of judgment which God will use in the Judgment. List them.
3. What is meant (in your own words) by “the riches of his goodness” (2:3)? By the “riches of his forbearance”? By the “riches of his long suffering”?
4. Is Salvation something God does for a man, rather than something a man takes an active part in? What does Romans 2 say about God’s part in the salvation of individual men?
5. If a man is justified by faith, how can the final judgment be based on “works” (2:6)
6. What is the difference between “glory,” “honor,” and “in-corruption”?
7. Will there be degrees of punishment on or after the day of Judgment?
8. What view of future punishment does Paul teach in 2:8,9? Does he teach annihilation of the wicked?
9. Explain the principle of judgment on the basis of available light. List some passages that teach this principle.
10. How is 2:13 (“doers of the law shall be justified”) to be harmonized with Romans 3:28 (which says that men have always been justified by faith), and with Romans 3:20 (which says “by works of law shall no flesh be justified”)?
11. What is meant “by nature” (2:14)? With what is “by nature” contrasted?
12. What is meant by “are the law to themselves”? (2:14). How can a Gentile sin? What law or laws does he violate?
13. What is the conscience? What does it do?
14. With what idea in the preceding context is 2:16 connected?
15. What is the idea of the verb “judge” (v. 27)?
16. 2:29. Is Today’s English Version translation, suggesting that “circumcision of the heart” is the work of the Holy Spirit, a justifiable translation? Where do they the word “God’s”? What is the contrast that Paul has in mind when he writes “spirit” and “letter”?
17. How does Paul begin his discussion of the need of the Jew for the righteousness offered in the Gospel? Why does he do it in this way?
18. Make a list of the characteristics of the Jews as given by Paul in 2:17-24. What where one of these qualities that was not true or desirable?
19. What is the difference, if any, between “knowing His will” and “approving the things that are excellent”?
1. What does it mean to be a “servant” of Christ?
2. What is the doctrine of “election”? What bearing does 1:1 have on your concept of the doctrine? What bearing does 1:7 have?
3. Is there any evidence in Paul’s writings that he had knowledge of Jesus’ virgin birth?
4. What concept do we think of when we find the Scriptures called “holy”?
5. What “part” of the nature of Christ is spoken of when Paul uses the word “spirit of holiness”?
6. What evidence is adduced to prove that Jesus is the Son of God?
7. What is the significance of the plural word “dead” (1:4)?
8. Explain “obedience of faith.” Give at least two possibilities.
9. What evidence of the deity of Christ is found in chapter 1?
10. If the saints in Rome received what Paul wished for them as in verse 7, what would it mean to them? Just what is the “grace” that God and Christ were to give to them?
11. What is significant in the order “grace” and then “peace”? Can peace come before grace? Why?
12. What ideas about prayer life can we learn from chapter 1?
13. What is included in the “spiritual blessing” which Paul wished to impart to the Romans?
14. Compare and contrast the “Gospel” and the “Law.”
15. What is the “righteousness” of God?
16. List several interpretations of what is meant by the words “from faith unto faith” found in verse 17. Give the strong points and weaknesses of each interpretation. What can be said about Today’s English Version’s translation “faith alone”?
17. Beginning at 1:18, what is the point of Paul’s argument?
18. Where has the “wrath of God” been revealed? Not From where, but where? To say simply “from heaven” will not answer the whole question. If you wanted to show someone the revelation of God’s wrath, where would you look?
19. What is the difference between “ungodliness” and “unrighteousness”?
20. What is meant by “divinity” (v. 20)?
21. What ideas are included in the language “God gave them up”?
22. Where did men get a “true knowledge” of God? (1:28)
23. List the sins –in terminology you understand –that men do when they reject God. Then examine your own life prayerfully in the light of this list.
24. How did “men” know God’s “ordinance”? (1:32)
25. According to chapter 1, why had Paul become an apostle?